A few months back, Bob’s Red Mill invited me to create a soup using one of their bean soup mixes. I developed this 13-Bean Soup with Kielbasa, which is now one of my favourite all-time recipes, as it has just the right combination of flavours and textures.
The recipe, which is being featured by Bob’s Red Mill this week, is a hearty bean soup, with smoky overtones from the Kielbasa. In order to meet publishing deadlines, I created it during a 95 degree heat wave in July (without air conditioning), and I still found myself gulping it down.
And this bean soup freezes beautifully. I froze the bulk of the July batch, which we enjoyed again on the weekend with a batch of cornmeal scones (a recipe that I will be sharing this week). This soup sure hit the spot after a few hours of stacking wood for the winter.
Several retailers are carrying Bob’s Red Mill products in their stores, and usually, there is a dedicated section to Bob’s Red Mill products, which will often have everything from baking supplies, to gluten-free products, to dried beans/soup mixes and granolas. But what I have discovered, having lived in three vastly different neighbourhoods over the past two years, is that the stores really vary in what they carry, and Bob’s has a heck of a lot more available.
So if you don’t find what you need in your local retail store, I encourage you to check out the Bob’s Red Mill online store. Their product line has a vast selection of gluten free and whole grain products, plus baking ingredients and baking mixes. I also find that if you shop at their online store, the prices are competitive with purchasing in bulk, particularly if you take advantage of their case pricing, which can come in as low as 25% of the cost of retail (depending, of course, on where you shop).
And now, with more people discovering their own intolerances to gluten, Bob’s really fits the bill. And if you are completely gluten intolerant, using their clearly-labelled GF products vs. buying in bulk means that you avoid the risk of cross-contamination (e.g. a scoop used for quinoa that has been used in the quick-cooking oats bin).
- 13-bean soup mix
- Bean-soup seasoning mix
- Black Bean soup mix
- Vegi bean soup mix
- Arborio rice
- Cornmeal (fine)
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- To enter, simply answer in the comments section: What is your favourite Bob’s Red Mill product? Never tried it? No problem! If you win this package, what would you try first?
- When entering your comment, please ensure that you include your full email address so that if you win, you can be contacted. You can use your first name only in the comments section, and rest assured, your email information will never be shared.
- If you win, you will be contacted by email and required to respond within 24 hours with your mailing address.
- Your prize will be sent to you directly by Bob’s Red Mill.
- Open to residents of U.S. and Canada.
- Contest closes on Monday, October 8th at 6 pm EST.