Further to my post on Monday, Bob’s Red Mill invited me to create a soup recipe using their 13-bean soup mix. I developed 13-bean soup with Kielbasa, which is featured on the Bob’s Red Mill site this week.
They also invited me to try other products, and one of the items that I chose was their fine grind cornmeal, which is wonderful in these cornmeal scones.
I have been using their baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt for several months now in my baking, and I cannot believe the difference in the quality. I have always been an advocate of buying in bulk, but after trying these ingredients, I just can’t go back. And after doing the math, while you’ll pay a bit more in retail, you save substantially if you buy directly from the Bob’s Red Mill site.
I have been making more and more recipes with cornmeal, including that amazing roasted cherry tomato tart from Canadian Living a few months back, and in that particular post, I talked about the exceptional flavour from the cornmeal. Which just happened to be Bob’s Red Mill medium grind cornmeal. So following that, I wanted to try this cornmeal scone recipe that I had found on food.com.
I am now addicted to the almost nutty taste of the cornmeal and the crumbly texture of this scone.
They go great with soup, particularly a hearty soup like this week’s 13-bean soup with Kielbasa, since the smoky soup is such a flavour and texture contrast to the nutty sweetness of these cornmeal scones.
They also freeze very well, so one night when I was on my own, I decided to reheat some sloppy joe filling that I had made a froze earlier, and I re-heated these scones (which were frozen after being fully baked). This was a great flavour combination and a nice departure from toast and buns.
So back to the giveaway. As a re-cap, here are the details of this week’s draw. There are two generous prize packages available.
All you have to do to enter is answer the following question in the comment section below: What is your favourite type of bread or scone to serve with a hearty soup?
- 13-bean soup mix
- Bean-soup seasoning mix
- Black Bean soup mix
- Vegi bean soup mix
- Arborio rice
- Cornmeal (fine)
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- To enter, simply answer in the comments section: What is your favourite Bob’s Red Mill product? Never tried it? No problem! If you win this package, what would you try first?
- When entering your comment, please ensure that you include your full email address so that if you win, you can be contacted. You can use your first name only in the comments section, and rest assured, your email information will never be shared.
- If you win, you will be contacted by email and required to respond within 24 hours with your mailing address.
- Your prize will be sent to you directly by Bob’s Red Mill.
- Open to residents of U.S. and Canada.
- Contest closes on Monday, October 8th at 6 pm EST.