I wasn’t expecting to post this recipe. I had something else planned for today.
Then, last Sunday night, I had this week’s Bob’s Red Mill giveaway on the brain, and after a day of stacking wood and hauling the boats out for the winter, I wanted a quick, healthy, hearty meal.
I thought a satisfying bean soup that I could whip up without soaking the beans would be ideal, so I pulled Bob’s Red Mill Vegi Soup Mix out of the pantry, and decided to try Bob’s Red Mill Bean Soup Seasoning Mix for the first time. Vegi Soup mix has is full of wholesome ingredients: green split peas, yellow split peas, barley, lentils and a fun alphabet shaped vegetable pasta made from semolina wheat flour, dehydrated spinach and tomato.
An hour later, a fabulous result: great texture and wonderful flavour from the mildly spicy flavoured soup mix (it has a bit of a kick, depending on how much seasoning you use).
The bean soup seasoning mix contains chili pepper, basil, celery seed, cumin seed, oregano, black pepper, savory, salt, garlic and onion. I made a rustic beer quick bread to go with this, and it was perfect
And it was even better when I reheated it for my lunch the next day. The seasonings had mellowed, and there was still a hint of the sherry, adding a wonderful subtle sweet note in this otherwise hearty soup.
A couple days later, I made this soup again without the bean soup seasoning mix and instead used a tablespoon each of fresh thyme, sage, and oregano from my herb harden. I also make this soup quite thick as you can see in the photo. Simply add more broth or water to thin it out for more broth. I just love adaptable recipes like this one.
I think what I may love the best about the soup mixes is the fact that you don’t have to make soup with them. They always have lots of fabulous whole grains, and there is so much that you can do with them.
I have used these mixes over the past couple of years in so many different ways:
- In 13-Bean Soup with Kielbasa (of course).
- Added to a classic Mushroom Barley Soup – just soak and cook a cup of Bob’s Red Mill Black Bean Soup mix, and add it at the end of the recipe for a nice hit of fibre.
- In salad (such as this Mediterranean Bean Salad using Bob’s 13 Bean Soup Mix).
- In a taco salad using Bob’s Black Bean Soup mix or 13-Bean Soup mix with some ground turkey and taco seasonings (cumin, thyme and chili powder).
- In quesadillas with Black Bean Soup mix with cooked shredded chicken, and shredded cheddar/mozzarella/jack cheese.
- In a veggie burger, in place of canned beans – 13-Bean Soup mix and Black Bean soup mix both work very well.
- In a dip with sage, and sun dried tomatoes (13 Bean Soup mix and Black Bean Soup mix).
- In chili (13 Bean Soup mix and Black Bean Soup mix).
- In nachos (from chili made above…make lots and freeze the leftover chili for nachos another time).
- In a veggie bean loaf (13-Bean soup mix works well for this).
- In a cassoulet, both with meat and without (any of the soup mixes work well for this).
- 13-bean soup mix
- Bean-soup seasoning mix
- Black Bean soup mix
- Vegi bean soup mix
- Arborio rice
- Cornmeal (fine)
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- To enter, simply answer in the comments section: What is your favourite Bob’s Red Mill product? Never tried it? No problem! If you win this package, what would you try first?
- When entering your comment, please ensure that you include your full email address so that if you win, you can be contacted. You can use your first name only in the comments section, and rest assured, your email information will never be shared.
- If you win, you will be contacted by email and required to respond within 24 hours with your mailing address.
- Your prize will be sent to you directly by Bob’s Red Mill.
- Open to residents of U.S. and Canada.
- Contest closes on Monday, October 8th at 6 pm EST.